Two of the interests presented in my group were swimming and music. The simplest idea presented was listening to music or singing while swimming. To elaborate (3) and expound on this idea, this activity can be played as a game. These interests can be incorporated into a game of swimming musical tag. The concept is similar to Marco-Polo, but when a player is underwater they have to sing a song as loud as they can in place of saying “Polo” above water. It could be funny as well as difficult for players of Musical-Underwater-Tag, or MUT, as sound doesn’t travel as far underwater. The game could also include a guessing aspect. Upon being tagged the person that was “it” could have to guess whatever song the person they tagged was singing. If they get it wrong they could have to remain as “it” for another turn. All of the players will be wearing goggles that you can’t see through so no one can visibly see the other players. The person that is “it” has to listen to the underwater songs/humming of the other players in order to locate them in the pool. This game is original (4) when compared to Marco-Polo because the locating aspect of Marco-Polo is conducted, for the most part, above water. Marco-Polo doesn’t incorporate music or the underwater singing of this game.
I like the idea for this. I am also a big fan of musical things (I'm in the Marching Illini), so this really appeals to me.
ReplyDeleteThis is a really unique idea you have here. What made you think of something like this? For me at least, my best and most unique ideas usually come to me by way of some sort of inspiration from the world around me.
-Matt
P.S. I think that sounds travels farther underwater that in the air. It just seems harder to produce sound underwater because people weren't made to do it.
The funny thing is, I really like this idea, and was thinking of this while swimming.
ReplyDeleteWhen I work out at the ARC, I always wish I had my techno/hip-hop to motivate me to swim faster, but I can't. With a creative idea like that being implemented, I'd definitely love it, and have a wonderful time swimming and diving in the pool.
Also, I think Matt is right about the sound wave speed when it comes to water, so it would be a factor to think about when implementing that idea.
-Ankit Jain
First off, let me just say that I love swimming and most water sports. I think this idea has great potential but it sounds a little too complicated. Unless you have music majors for friends, it could be difficult (not to mention painful) to try and identify the song your musically challenged friends are trying to sing. Another complication could be breath control - most of my friends can't hold their breath for more than 30 seconds at a time.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I think you really pushed your imagination here to come up with a unique, semi-practical idea to have a lot of fun. Nice work.
Alex