Friday, October 22, 2010

Analysis and Application of the Kensington Laptop Lock



For my engineered part I chose to describe and observe Kensington Laptop Locks and how students on campus use them. I observed three different ways in which the lock is being applied, and how the application of the steel fastener could be improved upon. I learned from my observations as I have never considered the differing ways in which the device is used or the improvements that could be made to the lock. The video posted explains the device in detail, common uses, and the idea I have to improve the design and use.

3 comments:

  1. Pat,

    Thats a great idea for an engineered object. I live in Taft, and I attach my laptop cable to a small metal cabinet (built into my wall) with two rods inside it. Not sure what the intended purpose of the cabinet is, but I'm glad it's there. However, I'm sure the majority of students here could really use a device like yours to help keep their computers safe. Nice work!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,

    That's an amazing idea! I actually have the same brand too, and I was curious as to a more efficient way to use the laptop cable lock. This video gave me some really smart ideas on how to fix it. But, one thing to take into account is the fact that you could think outside of the room as well, because some people (like me) could use ideas on an "everywhere" idea that would work.

    Otherwise, AMAZING job!

    ~Ankit Jain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also live in Taft and I cannot figure out what what that mini metal cabinet is for. It has such strange dimensions....

    I like the idea of a designated place to fasten your laptop. It can save people desk space as well as afford them more peace of mind that strapping your laptop to a table leg.

    One thing that I would like to see is a fastener that I could put anywhere or almost anywhere that is convenient for me. A fastener that works only on heaters, is a little specific, and would not be practical in my situation(the heater is 8 inches tall and on the opposite side of the room from my desk in my dorm).

    I think you have a great idea here.
    -Matt

    ReplyDelete